Friday, August 17, 2012

Alex Corrado's Summer in Mass

The countdown is on! 10 more days until Orientation and Move-In Day begin! I think I'm almost ready for Boylston Street to get much busier.  Not much going on here; we are in the quiet before the storm phase.  The Fall Ball schedule is just about finalized and should be ready in the next couple of days.  The journey to the 2013 season begins in just a few short weeks. Until then, relax and soak up these last days of August - we have a lot of work ahead of us!

This week we're hearing about the (summer) life and times of Junior Attacker Alex Corrado.  She's sold designer shoes, hit the beach, and become a master guacamole chef.  All without leaving the state!

What's your favorite summer hobby/activity while you're home in Chestnut Hill?
Alex: My favorite hobby while I'm at home is probably making guacamole. Not only is it my favorite snack but I've gotten pretty darn good at making it. I also enjoy going for runs around the Boston College reservoir while simultaneously trying to sneak peaks of the BC male athletes' preseason practices as I run past the practice fields.
Yum!

Describe a typical day at work.
Alex: A typical day at work begins with me arriving through the employee entrance of Nordstrom looking fabulous, as always. I then descend the escalator and head over to the Men's Shoe department. I stash my phone and wallet in the stock room and then go say whats up to my fellow Men's Shoes salesmen. Sometimes, I'll have a stock assignment where I have to straighten sections of shoes but mostly we just mess around on the sales floor until customers start arriving. Then it is my job to wait on people and provide "exceptional customer service" while trying to get them into the best (and hopefully most expensive ;) ) option for what they're looking for. I get paid on commission so its all about the $$$$. One of the highlights of my summer was selling the most expensive shoe on our floor to a customer. It was a gorgeous Prada wingtip that costs $720. The best part of my job (besides the discount of course) is that my brother Nick works in the Women's Shoe department right next to me. This summer we've gotten to carpool together on the weekends and we always have fun messing with each other and passing off husband and wife customers to each other.

Alex and her bro
Have you traveled at all this summer? Where to?
Alex: I didn't get to leave the state at all this summer, except to go to Connecticut for a days with my mom to check out one of her projects but I did make it down to Cape Cod quite a few times.

Beach time
You've been in and around Boston a lot this summer. Any changes about the city compared to when colleges are in session?
Alex: There are definitely a lot more tourists than during the school year and more humidity but other than that I didn't notice too many changes.

Did you pay much attention to the Olympics and Massachusetts' own Aly Raisman? What what was your favorite Olympic event/events?
Alex: I watched the Olympics religiously when it was on. I was completely consumed by it! Aly Raisman actually lives in the next town over from me so I was really excited when I heard about her. Actually, her uncle came to Nordstrom and bought four or five pairs of shoes from my friend a couple days before the Olympics started and was raving about Aly and how excited he was. I can't pick just one event so I'll say all my favorites: beach volleyball, gymnastics, swimming, sprinting and freestyle wrestling.

Have you gotten the chance to hang out with any other EC Laxers this summer?
Alex: Yes!! Many of the times I went down to the Cape I stayed with Maggie! I also had lunch with Emily early on in the summer and I had dinner with Brittany a couple weeks ago. And of course, Megan and I have had a few visits as well. But I miss everyone dearly and can't wait to see them!!!

Where are you living this year and with who?
Alex: This year I'm living on campus in the Colonial with three of my really good friends Alicia, Brittany and Shannon. Getting the four of us together in a suite was quite the accomplishment.

What are you most looking forward to about Junior year?
 Alex: I'm really looking forward to two of my classes that I'm taking this year (Social Media Marketing and Political Thought), getting to see all of my friends again (ESPECIALLY THE TEAM) and just being back in Boston <3.

No comments:

Post a Comment